Sunday, August 3, 2014

Learning How to Ride a Bike: Take 2

So upon getting my dorm assignment, which is a solid ten minute plus walk away from campus, I realized it might be helpful to bike.  Which made me realize three important facts:
  1. I don't have a bike
  2. I have not biked in years
  3. I was never good at biking anyway.

New bike!

New Helmet!
So to remedy number one, I actually happened to be talking about bikes with a few other people during senior society (more on that some other time), and one of the people happened to be trying to get rid of their bike.  So free bike yay! It's a nice bike with multiple gears and whatnot, although a bit tall.  I also got a new helmet in MIT colors (actually red is my favorite color, the MIT colors thing was just a coincidence since it was the only red helmet there) as well as a bike pump, which was not interesting enough to photograph.  

For number two, I got on the bike. Yay back to being a five year old biking around an empty parking lot (of an elementary school no less)!  I googled how to get on and off a bike extensively beforehand, as well as consulted with some friends on how to best get on and off a bike.  Let me just tell you, leaning over and putting your foot down is not the best way to get off a bike.  But this link: http://sheldonbrown.com/starting.html has pretty good techniques for how to start and stop on a bike.

For number three, I'm still not good at riding a bike.  You know the saying "It's like riding a bike: you never forget"? If you never knew how to bike well, well chances are you'll forget.  Stay tuned to see if I ever gain enough proficiency to bike around a college campus without accidentally running over someone. Here's to practice and hoping that I'll be able to bike sometime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment