Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Got Science?

Okay, so I've been really busy lately, so I'll discuss all the question boxes that I didn't do already in one post.

Mushrooms are part of the vegetable food group, so they are veggies. (Even though they aren't plants, they're fungi). Their nutrition content is more similar to vegetables than anything else, so they fall in the vegetable food group- which leads to another question: What's the difference between a fruit and a vegetable? I know fruits have seeds, but is that the only difference? What about the nutrition content? Do fruits have more vitamin C or other nutrients?

Glutens are special proteins that are found in rye, wheat, and barley. Not all grains, though, have glutens, like corn, oats and soybeans. Glutens have properties that help create bread, like keeping in the gases while it bakes, hardening to keep the bread's shape, and making the bread chewy. The reason why certain products have "gluten free" is because some people have a disease that makes them unable to digest glutens, so they can't eat it. Here's my link: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-gluten.htm.

As for meiosis, there's a whole bunch of stuff I'm trying to read, so kindly give me a few minutes... By the way, red blood cells do not have DNA- I looked it up, and they have no nucleus. Okay, done reading the website I was reading- and I'm confused! The only thing that I can gather is, well, er... there's a lot of confusing vocabulary. Also, Boveri and Sutton were responsible for the chromosome theory of inheritance- the textbook seems to have left that out. This was the website I was reading: http://croptechnology.unl.edu/viewLesson.cgi?LessonID=979149292. Also, going on http://www.scilinks.org/ will give you more links, look on page 94 of the textbook for the code. Speaking of which, there are quite a few contests on the website as well, although only one seems doable (because of the deadline/other things). That makes me sad since they seem fun...
Well, that's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment